MINISTERIO DE PRESIDENCIA


Intranet for the Spanish Ministry of the Presidency




Lead Product Designer
Research, UX Design, Visual design & Testing
Design Team of 1
Febrary 2018 – May 2018
During my involvement at the consultancy firm Babel, I was assigned the project of creating a brand new look and feel and improving UX aspects for the Spanish Ministry of the Presidency Intranet.

In this area, technical limitations are usually a big constraint for the creativity of the proposals, so we tried to make the most meaningful impact possible without changing the construction of the website.

The goal was to adapt the interface to a more contemporary aesthetic and create a clean and lasting design system.




THE PROBLEM


As an early-stage startup, the process and infrastructure were messy, with information distributed in several third-party applications. Operations and solutions teams didn't have visibility about order status and incidences, and they were uploading and updating every new order, change and log manually to every application, issue that consumed too many time and effort.

The business goal was to reduce manual tasks and have one in-house platform that could fit all of our needs.


CHALLENGES


  • Understand every step of the process
For defining Information Architecture, nomenclature and User Experience is vital to get to know your business and your users.

  • Planning and Priority
The functionalities to develop were too many for an MVP. Creating a roadmap for the product and its iterations was a process itself.


DISCOVERY


In the research and ideation phase, we had the luck to work with Mendesaltaren Design Studio, who worked with us at the first phase of the process. We started with benchmarks and a moderated Product Canvas session with team members and C-level executives, which allowed us to shape a general view of the goals and pains.





RESEARCH


In order to collect information, we set up several user interviews, studies and a Typeform survey asking our team to explain their daily tasks, problems and objectives.

We created user personas and journeys with the collected data to keep in mind the goal.




INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE


At this point, we started organizing all the information available in our databases to create categories and think about how it was going to be displayed in our system.





WIREFRAMING


With the IA validated, we sketched a general view of how we wanted to represent the information on each section in Low Fidelity wireframes, which allowed us to get quick feedback before going deeper in the UI.





Once we tested and approved the previous designs, we designed higher fidelity wireframes, where we developed every feature and interaction.





VISUAL DESIGN


The actual status of the global brand was something to improve, so we decided to create a global strategy for both branding and product design at once. We based our design in the values of youth, trust and ambition and pursued a fresh and modern look and feel.




We changed the old Gotham Rounded for two new fonts: Barlow for the biggest headlines and Inter UI has our base typography, for both online and offline uses.

Each one of our application will have a different base color but will share almost every other component of our design system, Forehead. The chosen color for Brain was blue.

Below you can see a little sample of what Brain looked like at the end.





CONCLUSIONS


Brain was just the beginning of an exciting adventure.

This platform is changing every day with constant user feedback, new features and business requirements. For now, has improved significantly the team workflow and has made GOI a better company.

Big applications came after and a long process of testing, consistency and improvement started with this project, which I hope you have enjoyed in this case study.

The tools we used to make it happen has been Sketch , Abstract, Zeplin, Marvel, Typeform and Notion.

Thanks for reading!
Mark

Let’s get in touch!